Okay, I'm lazy to have a normal introduction post about myself, and besides this blog is mainly for me to vent, whether is it in anger, joy or sorrow, that's the purpose of this blog. Thus, I do not see a point to introduce myself. Also, if I were to allow you to read this blog, it means that it shouldn't be necessary for me to introduce myself don't you think? LOL! HAHA.
ALRIGHT! I guess here's my first post, and I guess I shall dedicate it to someone who's been constantly supporting and watching over me, and He is none other than The Lord. Please don't think of me as some hardcore and super religious guy. Despite my love for God, I am not the same as those people who think that they are so pure and holy compared to the non-believers, I am just a regular, God-loving Christian who goes to church weekly and I respect whatever religion you believe in.
Moving on from the disclaimer, I have been in church for approximately 2 years and 9 months, and I have got to say, getting to know God was really a life-changing experience for me and I thank God that I have Him in my life. I'm pretty sure that it was God who had anonymously guided me to church despite me not knowing him prior to becoming a Christian. I shall go into more details on that later on in this post or maybe part 2? LOL. I've never had the best impression of Christians, especially not since during a few occasions in the past, Christians came knocking on my door and openly tried to convert my family and I. They even insulted my family who were Buddhist, criticizing that they were foolish, praying to wooden blocks and statues. Despite the fact that I had never really believed in Buddhism, I was really pissed at what they said. I don't really care what religion you belong to, but you have no rights to insult other people's beliefs. Thus, they gave an extremely terrible first impression of Christians and churches in my heart.
July 1st, 2012, I stepped into church for the very first time, for my primary (as well as secondary school) friend, Dehuai, had invited me to his church as he told me that there was gonna be a live performance by the Youtube stars, Jayesslee that was going to be hosted by his church! Not really a big fan of theirs, but I do enjoy several song covers performed by them and I really feel that they are gorgeous. Although I hesitated initially, Dehuai, who is a really close friend to me even now, had changed so much after attending this church for a few months. He really turned into a better person compared to his rowdy and delinquent self back in secondary school who talked back at the teachers all the time (Well, those were really good and hilarious times that will make me laugh when I look back on it xD). With my mind filled with curiosity, I really wanted to find out what was it about this church that made my friend changed so drastically in such a short period of time, so after a mini war took place in my mind in order to make a decision, ultimately, I agreed to go.
Arriving at the fountain that I had came across countless number of times in my life, I never knew that a church actually existed just beyond the white gate that stood right beside that particular fountain. As I walked through the gate with Dehuai and two good friends of mine from secondary school, Eileen and Jocelyn, we were greeted by an usher and we awkwardly thanked her. As we walked a little further, we were astonished by the sight of the crowd, even Dehuai. People were queuing (some were even sitting) under the scorching sun, waiting to board the bubble lift up to the auditorium of the church. Honestly, I was like,"WTF.. Isn't this supposed to be a church service? Why are people queuing like as if it is a concert by Super Junior? Ugh can I just go home? Just looking at the crowd can make my claustrophobia act up." Little did I know that if I had followed through with that thought and went home, my life may have been different from what it is today. In the end, for Jayesslee, I decided to persevere. Additionally, I did not want to disappoint Dehuai who had invited me for the third time to come and visit his church.
As we queued under that blazing sun who thinks that she is so freaking hot, I just surrendered to her, she IS indeed hot, but even so, she continued to shower her fiery heat on us (ugh bitch..). People often say, 心静自然凉,so I calmed down and eventually got lost into a conversation with my three friends.. until a voice called out from afar,"Dehuai!!!" We turned our attention to the direction where the voice came from. With that crowd, it was nearly impossible to figure out who it was. Then, I saw a figure running over towards us and a voice I will never ever forget even if I were to get Alzheimer's disease in the future, was etched into my memories as the guy said hi to us. This guy is none other than my current cell group leader (CGL), Yew Siong. As we started a conversation, from his vibe, I knew that he was very sociable and that he is probably the siao-on kind of person. My friends and I were a little overwhelmed by his friendliness. My two friends and I gazed at one another a few times through out the conversation, telepathically saying,"Omg wow, is this how Christians are like? Are Christians usually that friendly?" Nevertheless, I enjoyed my conversation with him because I could see that he was really sincere and really wanted to get to know us as from what I've heard, Christians are usually fake and two-faced, they only wanna preach about Jesus to you and forcefully convert you. Despite how I was not really THAT sociable at that point of time compared to now, I tried my very best to hold a conversation him.
Out of the blue, another voice came calling with much enthusiasm (emphasis on the much),"Dehuai! Yew Siong! I've been looking all over for you guys!!" I turned my attention to the guy who spoke like a celebrity from KidsCentral/Okto, and friends, that's the story of how I met Marcus, who led me in my cell group back in DL zone. We spoke a little and then it was our turn to board the bubble lift,"Thank God!" I told Eileen and Jocelyn, though at that point of time, I had no idea what God I was actually being grateful to LOL!
As we stepped into the auditorium, Eileen shockingly exclaimed,"WAH SIA LA! Is 1D gonna be performing here!?" Yup, she is a big 1D fan, or what they call, a Directioner.. haha! Jocelyn and I were equally overwhelmed as we came with an expectation of seeing wooden chairs, tinted glasses and a large cross somewhere at the stage of the auditorium, somewhere along that line. To our surprise, the place was like a concert hall rather than a church. There were drums set, electric guitars and keyboards on the stage. Yew Siong was like,"Told y'all that you guys will be surprised!" True enough, we were. He then continued,"Ehh tell you guys what, if any of you can find a cross in this auditorium, I'll treat that person Gong Cha." I happily accepted,"Okay you say one uh! Challenge accepted!" I desperately looked around the auditorium and there was nothing that even came close to resembling a cross. At the same time, Eileen and Jocelyn were browsing and scanning the auditorium too, but similarly, to no avail. Yew Siong and Dehuai giggled at the side, making fun of how desperate I was just for the Gong Cha LOL!
Then service started, and not surprisingly (not anymore at least...), it was really like a concert. As Jayesslee performed, everyone clapped and sang along. (OMG! Their Payphone and Officially Missing You were awesome!) and then there was a short word by Pastor How, the senior pastor of the church. As Eileen began using her cell phone, Jocelyn and I were still paying attention to the sermon preached by him and I was surprised that I was actually interested in it. Service then ended with a praise song and once again, I'm surprised that my two friends and I were clapping along to the song. Eventually, I actually ended up singing along to the song. Even I had no idea why I did that.. I didn't even believe in Christianity then.. weird.... But well, I always knew Christian songs were nice, but I never thought there were actually,... ROCK genre Christian songs LOL!
After service, we made our way to City Plaza to eat the Ban Mian at the food court on the 5th floor. Oh on a side note, the Ban Mian there is very nice, you guys can go and try! Personally, I have eaten at every food stall at the food court as well as the different eateries at City Plaza since my dad works there, so I have been going there since young. If you need recommendations, you can let me know haha! Our table was filled with loud, attention-seeking laughter as we chowed down the delicious Ban Mian. At the end of the meal, Yew Siong asked if I was free to hang out again next weekend as Eileen, Jocelyn and I, we took part in this lucky draw for new friends in the church, and the results were getting announced next week during service. Pondering about it for what seems like seconds in real life to other but minutes to me, I agreed. I did so most probably because I really did not have many friends around me to hang out with. More than half of my secondary school clique had left me to study abroad and all (I might find them to go deeper into this issue), Poly had just started so I wasn't close with my classmates yet. Therefore, I decided to try and get to know the church people better as they were really nice and were genuine in getting to know me. Jocelyn and Eileen explained that they may have something on, and may not be able to make it. I was a little afraid as they said so as I thought that it might be awkward if they didn't come along with me. However, I've already agreed.. so whatever, I decided to just go. That marks the end of my first day visiting the church.
It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves - William Shakespeare
Sunday, 12 April 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Giving Thanks Reminds Us Of How Much We Have
I have left this blog to die a couple of years back. Little did I know that I'd decide to resurrect it, but here it is! I'M BACK! ...
-
"Time To Say Goodbye" Firstly, I apologize for not continuing part 2 of "The Beginning of A New Journey", I really n...
-
Okay, I'm lazy to have a normal introduction post about myself, and besides this blog is mainly for me to vent, whether is it in anger, ...
-
Hi people! It's really been quite a while since I've updated this blog. I guess I'd say that I have been really lazy lately! H...
No comments:
Post a Comment